Thursday, July 5, 2018

Wednesday 7/4/18









Seward to Sterling

The ride to Sterling was on some  amazing road. Highway 19 ended and became 484. This is designated a remote no services section and borders the south side of the Quivira Wildlife Refuge. Nill traffic, decent road surface and total serenity and subtly beautiful scenery.

One of the first homes exiting the nature preserve area had a sign out offering water and a shaded bench. Another trali angel. I was good on water but took them up on the the shaded bench. Once cooled I traded back from wood to English leather. The Brooks B-68S is still working well as a contact point for my backside. With over 2000 miles on it both the saddle and my contact patch should be considered broken in.

I made it on to Sterling about 1130. Knowing the layout of Sterling I went to the city park where most festivities were at. I got a schedule to help Nishanth plan his first ever US 4th of July and bought my evening meal button. I was still remembering the fine community meal served for the 2013 BAK ride.

The park was packed with folks and activities. Horseshoe pitch, pizza eating contest, water games at the pool and the list went on.

I ate some aging grub from my feed pouch while waiting for Nishanth. At up to 100 degrees, aging is quick. Two days I try to have everything turned over. I always try to have a days worth of calories on the bike. This is especially important on the remote areas we have traveled thru. We were lucky having favorable winds at those points and quickly passed thru. Bad weather or headwinds the food would have been used. I also carried water purification tablets, just in case.

Once Nishanth arrived we made the parade and antique tractor pull. Both were pure Americana and great activities for him to experience. The evening community meal, band playing and finally the fireworks display should top it off for Nishanth.

 Nishanth had arranged a couch surfing host for us. The home owner Greg was off somewhere else and the house left unlocked for us. So we got our first real showers in several days and did a load of sink laundry each. Tommorow we should leave Sterling clean and refreshed. And back to the hot dusty trail!

Days miles just a short 35 leaving us some time and energy to celebrate the 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment