Sunday, July 22, 2018

Thursday 7/19/18







Harrodsburg to Kirksville

Storms were forcasted and possibly severe in the afternoon. Locals I spoke to all warned me to seek shelter if I heard sirens.

Before leaving Harrodsburg I had to go to the library and take care of a form that was not signed for my retirement. Joyce had talked to the retirement folks at MU  and the librarian at Harrodsburg. I just needed to get onto my Email, print off the form, sign it and get it faxed. Amazing the ability to do things electronically. That done and the paper copies mailed to Joyce, I got pedaling.

I was doing better with the RideWithGPS app and enjoying the rural lanesof Kentucky.
The clouds did get gradually heavier all day and I started to hear some rumbling. Finally I saw lightning at a distant ridge. Then as I was on a long pull coming into Kirksville, the storm sirens went off. As I got to the top of the hill, there was a large Baptist Church. I got under the front porch as the rain started. I heard people talking and realized the lower area was the community storm shelter. I went there to be safer, and much dryer, than the porch. We had a good visit while waiting out the worst of it. Finally it was just a sprinkle and folks went home. Locked out now I waited for the last of the storm to move past.

A local named Paul showed up who had been watching my tracker. A call to his wife for permission and then he was loading me up for his place at paint Lick. Give generously and receive graciously, it was my place to accept generosity. Paul was not going to bring me back in the morning so explained the route I would be cycling back on.

Getting to his home we got the bike in his basement. Paul is a bicycle collector and had 40 hanging from the rafters. He explained the significance of each one before introducing me to Suzanne. Bicycles are important to Paul. Both retired, Paul was a nurse and Suzanne managed medical records.

I got cleaned up and we had a supper of burritos and corn chips. Quickly it was bedtime on the couch. I slept very well.

Days miles about 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment