Thursday, July 26, 2018

Wednesday 7/25/18













Lookout to Rosedale, Virginia

Today was a good day overall. I slept well at the Freeda Harris Baptist Center. It was very quiet having the place to myself. The bed was some kind of dense foam and made no pressure points. I made my usual breakfast but added  toast smeared with peanut butter and honey.

I was on the pedaling by 0900 and making good progress. Most of today's miles again paralleled a river or railroad tracks. I had 7 significant hills before Rosedale but were smaller and better graded than the previous several days beasts. I only walked one very short uphill stretch of one hill and no talking downhill at all.

It was cloudy most of the day and the roads wet. But never rained on me. Must have been that short delay leaving to answer my sons Justin call. Good timing, Justin! Some of the rain must have been short cloudburst because the rumble strip divits were full. Cyclist know a lot about rumble strips, we hate them!

One of the natural wonders I cycled by today was The Breaks. The Pound River flows thru a deep canyon like valley and is a series of rapids. Very beautiful overlooks of it along the route. Could have seen it also from a $50 zip line ride but figure I have plenty of risk currently with coal trucks whizzing by me on roads with no shoulder. Nothing but me and the ditch but the fog line. That is living on the edge!

I made it to Rosedale and the Elk Garden United Methodist Church about 6:30PM. What an attractive place for cyclist to stay. Tim Carson’s Wednesday Wonder discusses Christian hospitality towards the stranger. I have experienced this open hospitality first hand. Such an embrace of Christian love it is! But first you need to be the stranger, the outsider allowed in. Cycling allows a lot to be experienced in a unique way, some things one would never think of, like Christianity.

Days miles, about 60 much better miles.


1 comment: