Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Sunday 7/29/18












Troutville to Vesuvius

Another unique day at the race. Mostly filled with good riding and experiences. The Troutville park was right next to the railroad tracks. I only recall a 0300 wakeup by the train crossing blast. At dawn a friendly park volunteer showed up to tidy up whether there were cyclist campers or not. She did ask if OK to use the leaf blower to clean the shelter building. Go ahead I told the friendly  lady.The sun is up, so should be I.

While eating breakfast, I worked on finishing yesterday's note. I  did some bike maintenance for the final miles of the trip. I am on map #12, the final map.  Some early heavy clouds cover was clearing and I  got pedaling about 10:00.

As I was a couple miles from Buchanan, I was admiring an attractive property, when I heard a man standing near the end of the driveway speaking to me. I turned around to talk to him. It seemed he was wanting more than hi. His name was Ken Mootey and he was interested in bicycle touring. He said he had not eaten yet and would be glad to include me. It seemed rub to refuse the offer so I accepted his generosity.

We had a good meal of waffles and country ham. We discussed bike touring and the many options. Ken was reluctant to tour solo as I mostly do. I told him to check out the Adventure Cycling options. He had a wonderful home and I suggested that he consider being a Warmshowers host. He could tour vicariously through his guests. It seemed a waste to have an inviting home right on the TransAm and not do Warmshowers. We talked about our former work lives some. Ken had a series of businesses starting with construction equipment rentals. As consolidations occurred, he was always happy to sell out at the right price. A business smart guy! We exchanged contact information, I took a picture of us for my notes, and I got pedaling again. I thought a bit about the time visiting verses the miles not riden, but decided accepting hospitality was just as much part of the experience.

The afternoon and evening miles were amazingly pleasant and beautiful rural scenery. The first several miles out of Buchanan were paralleling the I-81. Noise and not pleasant. Made a turn onto Plank Road, and it was quickly country. Passed by a mill from 1740 and the remains of a railroad bridge built in 1790.

Lexington was interesting with the Virginia Military Institute. Very fortress looking buildings. Pedaling out of Lexington I stopped at a convenience store with a stuffed lion out front. Soon I was pedaling on South River Road on the way to Vesuvius. A very little traveled road with the road sandwiched between the river and railroad tracks.

I stopped at the Mallard Campground for the night. The shower was hot and I slept very well under their pavilion building.

Days miles about 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment