Sunday, July 29, 2018

Friday 7/27/18








Troutdale to Draper

Woke up about 0645 with bright sun coming in the bunkhouse windows. Made my usual oatmeal but somehow forgot the powered milk. Caught it up later when I bought a few things to make my lunch and added a pint of milk. The coffee maker looked unkept so I decided to get gas station coffee at Sugar Grove. Thought that would be safer hygiene wise!

I got on the road about 0900 and made good time getting to Sugar Grove. The modest hills were well graded. Most of the miles were forested and little traffic. Making Sugar Grove I dropped off an Enlace brochure and made my coffee stop. I had also stopped at General Dollar and got more instant oatmeal and a large chocolate bar. Drinking my coffee and doing the math on the large chocolate bar, I wondered where the 1200 calories disappeared to?

The miles were rolling to Rural Retreat and quiet. Not much traffic at all. I made it to Rural Retreat about 1PM and got a few things for my lunch at Food City. I thought I would eat down my food sachel some and just get down to breakfast food. Less weight, more miles or at least easier miles.

While eating my tuna fish sandwichs I looked up Warmshowers host and saw one at Draper. That was about 40 miles more riding and would make a good day. I contacted the hosts, Jennifer and Curtis Brown. They were available so I had a plan for the night. Plus I was more motivated to keep moving knowing they would be waiting for me. 

Some of the afternoon miles were busy highways and on access road along I-81. The final 6 or so miles to Draper was very scenic, small hills with great views of an agricultural valley.

I arrived at the Browns home at 6:30. I had told Jennifer about the SpotTracker so she was waiting as I came in the drive. After I showered, we enjoyed a dinner of spaghetti and conversation. They have a small vinyard on the property and are just getting licensed to have sales. Another unique way to have a challenge as a young retiree.

After eating they ran some errands leaving mein charge of Pipi the pooch. Not bad work and did some notes on the side when not petting Pipi!

The spare bedroom wason the basement, so cool and quiet for a good sleep.

Days miles about 60.




No comments:

Post a Comment