Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Monday 7/30/18












Vesuvius to Charlottesville

I did not have access to a microwave and short of peanut butter for sandwiches. I packed up and was going to have breakfast at Gertie's in Vesuvius. I was few miles short at the campground. The stream along the road was flowing against my direction of travel. I was gaining elevation as I approached the Blue Ridge Parkway. So the road had a slight incline giving a bit of resistance. Getting to Gertie's I had the Gertie's special, 2 pancakes, 2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon. I rarely eat breakfast out, so a treat when done. Oatmeal is more my style.

Pedaling out of town, the road immediately turned up. After about an hour of a combination of pedaling and walking, I was on the Parkway. On the Parkway, I finally had cell reception and called Joyce and my Mom. A motorcyclist soon stopped. I assumed for the scenery. As I approached to say hi, the person addressed me by name. The man's name was Dave and he had been watching my tracker. He offered me a container of cold watermelon which I was soon feasting on. He liked to try and meet as many of the racers as possible. After finishing the mellon and some road tips from Dave, I got back pedaling.

 I had about 30 miles on the Parkway and it was hilly. It was also occasionally misting and the cloud cover was low. Some of the overlooks I could see the panaramic view well. Other times the clouds were at road level and it was a swirling mist.

The Parkway was a beautiful 30 miles. Some had unmowed fields of wild flowers. Butterflies were thick. Other sections were forest. Occasionally there were the overlooks. It was always changing and the hills forced me to slow down and appreciate all of it. Close to the end I saw a black bear in the road. As I approached, the bear retreated to the forest. Getting to that spot, I saw two Cubs that had climbed trees for safety. Like squirrels, they had their bodies on the backside of the tree and were peering around to check out the threat. I picked up the pace some knowing the mom was near and nervous. With so little traffic, it was just me and the bears.

As I reached the end of the Parkway the sky got very dark and a gust front blew. I stayed below an overpass for several minutes to avoid a possible downpour. The wind stayed Gusty but no rain. I mostly coasted the couple miles to Afton. There I saw the sign for the famous ‘ cookie lady of Afton’, Joan Currey. This is sacred ground for TransAm cyclist. As I looked at the home, Victoria, quickly appeared and again greeted me by name. She said the home is never locked and invited me in. The pictures I took represent all the rooms. Her kindness touched thousands of of cyclist. All the postcards and letters she received she displayed on her walls. Amazing place and now a hostel for cyclist.

Stepping outside it looked like the clouds were breaking up some. Only 4:30, I decided to try and make Palmyra. The 30 miles to Charlottesville was a steaplechase of local roads rather than using the more direct 250. I made Charlottesville but it was too late to do the additional 20 to Palmyra. I went to the Kroger store for some supper groceries and then a city park for the night. An overall very nice day of cycling but just wish I could have reached Palmyra and the church hostel there.

Days miles about 75 with 3000 feet of climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment