Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Tuesday 7/10/18





Fair Grove to Houston

We slept well at the Fair Grove park. The Kum &Go was just a block from the park, hardly worth clipping in. We had our usual breakfast of instant oatmeal and coffee.

We got cycling fearfull that the road to Marshfield would be similiar to the previous afternoon. I did not have my usual enthusiasm initially but warmed up as the terrain was much gentler. An occasional good pull but more rolling and fun to ride. We quickly rode the 18  miles to Marshfield. Highway 38 entering town was a minefield of fast food restaurants and we pulled up to the golden arches for coffee.

I still feared endless hills and quickly slurped mine and started for Hartsville. Again suprised by relatively gentle terrain which offset the afternoon heat. Getting into town I saw a barbers pole and the shop was open. I got trimmed to look nice for my spouse, Joyce. We are meeting tomorrow to get my retirement paperwork signed.

Nishanth rushed in asking me if I had a spare shifter cable. One of the French cyclist had theirs break. Be Prepared, so yes I did. I told Nishanth they were welcome to it and where it was packed. I then called Joyce and added shifter cables to the items to bring.

We had Subway sandwichs and then gambled that the gentle terrain would continue and to make Houston by dark. As we pulled up to the Casey's in Houston, it was very dusk. Nishanth commented of the pleasantness of the evening ride. It was a beautiful evening to ride, the route interesting and we pushed hard and the gamble panned out.

The city park had a nice pavilion building and a bathroom but no shower. A quick sink bath tonight and tomorrow we will have accommodations at the Southern Inn.

Days miles about 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment