Sunday, July 29, 2018

Thursday 7/26/18
















Rosedale to Troutdale

It was a pleasantly cool night and I decided to sleep under the picnic shelter with the bike. I guess it was just the highway noise and I did not sleep that well. Last time I woke was close to sunrise, so I just got up. I had the eggs, so made two fried egg sandwiches on toast a well as my usual oatmeal. With a church kitchen at my disposal I can eat well, or at least better.

It was foggy again,  so I took my time eating and packing up. After 0830 it looked safe to pedal off. I had about 35 miles to Damascus and one big hill. Thankfully it was a more gradual grade, so relatively easy to pedal up and modest braking descending. It was a pretty route also. Very few cars and Rocky outcropping where it was cut into the hillside and a rushing stream on the other. The sound of flowing water is always a treat when cycling. No cars to distract, just the quiet forest and the sounds of the water flowing over rocks. What an experience! Cycling quiet backroads there is always some sound of nature; the wind, birds and even insects singing their songs to occupy the stillness.

I stopped at Meadowview at a small grocery. In the south these places are more restaurant and sell groceries as a side business. I was just going to get coffee but a customer gave a rousing testimonial about the chili coleslaw hot dog. Not wishing to miss out on this Southern culinary delight, I went back in and ordered one from Miss Betty. I was not disappointed, it was pretty good! And it got me the last 15 miles to Damascus.

I found the bike shop but the mechanic called in sick . They sold me the new plain post cantilever brake shoes and loaned me the 10mm wrench to do it myself. Finishing in about an hour I decided I had time to eat at a pizza place with an OK salad bar. I also got a calzone with double hot peppers that was pretty good. But when cycling, most anything is pretty good! I had decided Damascus is a busy place and that I had time to make Troutdale. About 25 miles with a big hill to cross. Troutdale also has a church run hostel and I thought I could get there by 8 PM.

The ride was exceptionally nice. The big climb was not steeply graded and went thru deep forest and had a stream most of the way to Troutdale. There was a long mostly flat tabletop plateau that was wonderful cycling in the cool evening. There were two interesting churches I took pictures of. One made of stone and the other log cabin style. I wished one of them were a hostel as each was so unique in appearance.

The hostel at the Troutdale Baptist Church did look like it’s name, The Bunkhouse. Up on a hill with a beautiful view and showers a short walk at the church. I did not have the use of the church kitchen but did fine with the microwave at the bunkhouse. I had a baked potato, sliced zucchini and green pepper, corn on the cob and a piece of chicken. Desert was a bag of microwave popcorn from the bunkhouse stock. Many of the hostels, not close to a grocery, church members will stock with non-perishable food items.

After eating, I took the short walk down to the showers. Some of the hostels have outside cold showers. I was looking forward to a hot shower to relax tired muscles.

With bath done, bed made, I was tired and slept very well on my plywood bunk.

Days miles about 60 with a little over 3000 feet climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment