Sunday, July 29, 2018

Saturday 7/28/18











Draper to Troutville

I set my alarm for 0630 to accommodate my Warmshowers host normal waking time of 0700. I got my morning cleanup and packing done by 0700. I think Pipi wanted out for her business because she was barking. I got my usual instant oatmeal made and Jennifer made me coffee. We talked about her carreer as a nurse because Joyce is a retired nurse practitioner. Finishing eating I got the bike packed and a picture of the Browns with Pipi.

The 30 miles to Christiansburg  was mostly the old Highway 100 before the I-81 was built. Not bad riding and some felt almost rural. A locals road with not too much traffic. Being Saturday morning helped with few commuters. People are more relaxed about errands than getting to work on time.

I made a longer stop at Radford for a community event commemorating the life of Mary Draper Ingles. They had folks dressed up in Revolutionary War era garb and explaining daily activities to visitors. I watched some blacksmithing being done and was given a nail I watched being made.

It was all interesting and I took some information for a possible future trip to DC. Would make a nice future trip with Joyce.

Nearing Christiansburg I was getting very hungry. First thing in town I see a Pizza Inn and the sign flashing 'buffet now’. I grabbed my wallet and phone, and nearly ran in. They had a good salad bar so I got plenty of vegetables with my pizza.

The final leg of the day was about 40 miles of cycling in the Roanoke and Catawba Valleys. Very beautiful scenery and a twisty curvey rode. Some flat sections of road but mostly hilly. It was not fast riding but did not need to be with the scenery.

I made Daleville and got to shop in a Kroger's store for my nights food. I appreciated being able to buy some familiar products like Kaski granola bars. Being told there is usually hikers where I would camp, I bought some extra cherries and strawberries. Getting to the city park in Troutville, I was the only one there. I was disappointed having the extra food but an easy problem to solve. Eat in the order of most to least  perishable.

About 75 miles of very fine cycling.



No comments:

Post a Comment