Sunday, July 22, 2018

Wednesday 7/18/18






Falls of Rough Airport to Howardstown

I had a quiet night under the pavilion at Saint Anns Catholic Church. I woke up to fog rolling in from the 'hollers’. I believe that is the Kentucky term for low areas. By the time I packed it seemed safe enough to ride.

The Abbey where Thomas Merton lived was about 15 miles away and maybe a mile off route. I was debating whether to stop in or not. It seemed a quick look would not accomplish much other than having been there. My church had gone there and spent some time doing a retreat. Between map interpretation and the actual intersection, I did not make the turn for the Abbey and stayed on route. Stopping to fix a bike problem, I had time to look at the map and discover my error. With more repairs needed and an empty stomach, I decided to head on to nearby Loretto.

At this point I had my big problem of the day. The GPS race route was different on this area than the Adventure Cycling route. Kentucky even had all the intersections signed so the map was hardly needed. I elected to use what I was comfortable with, the map and road signage. I would figure out the GPS later. I was just frustrated and wanted to make some miles. It was about 30 miles later, north of Springfield, I got back on the race route and how better to use the RideWithGPS app.

Getting to Springfield I took a break at a gas station for coffee and granola bars. I called Joyce to catch up with her day and mine. It helps a lot to have a short conversation and rethink the minor issues I am having.

Getting moving again, I was soon on the race route and making use of the RideWithGPS app. The route now was more of a paved lane and very quiet. As I went up one hill a local yelled out words of encouragement and letting me know about a water stop at the top of the hill.

Someone had made a rest area for cyclist with a shade tent, a jug of cold water, some snacks and a port- a-potty. While getting ready to take a picture, Donna and Rick, the owners drove up. Like Leprechauns, trail angels are real! We had a short conversation and they told me some about the guests they have had. Meeting Thomas Camero was one of their more memorable. His energy seems to impress everyone.

I finally made it in to Harrodsburg about dusk. Talking to folks at the Apple Market store, the fairgrounds was very close and sounded like my best option. There was a large pavilion, water and restrooms, all needs covered.

Days miles about 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment