Sunday, July 15, 2018

Friday 7/13/18






Ellington to Farmington

We slept well at the Ellington hostel. If you cycle a long hard day, accommodations can be spartan but everything you need. A shower, a cot and A/C.

Our convenience store breakfast came with a bonus, free coffee. As we left town I saw a newer store at the intersection. Free coffee was to keep customers from fleeing her more worn store. She did offer inside seating for her customers to linger and visit. Like old jeans, worm is often best.

The terrain was less hilly than yesterday but still challenging. Towards noon the heat was back in full and the air felt like cloths dryer exhaust. I was looking forward to seeing my brother David and Debby and my nephew Daniel. With the heat and familiar roads, the riding felt more utility and less fun. As a young I would have been enjoying the cool clear streams swimming not cycling the hot highways.

There was some tailwind and I was making miles easier than yesterday. So I took solace in that and let go of the fun factor.

Getting into Farmington I called Debby to let her know I arrived  and when they would make it. David and Daniel were out on a job but would be home soon.

I called Shawnna Robinson with the Farmington Press who had written an article on my cross country ride and the fundraising I was doing. We arranged to meet at McDonalds which worked out perfectly. Nishanth happened to be there so she got to talk to both of us. She said her follow up article she could focus more on his experience bicycling to see America.

As she was finishing Wayne Linnenbringer arrived with his daughter Holly. Wayne likes to meet the racers coming thru Farmington and help them find the hostel if needed. We had a good discussion about the race and accommodations that communities provide TransAm cyclists. Farmington converted the historic jail and is a top their facility.

Wayne drove his car slowly and led Nishanth and I to the hostel. About the time we cycled up, David and his family arrived. After a bit more conversation we headed to CiCi’s as I was starved. I had never eaten at on even though we have one in Columbia. Joyce makes homemade pizza and nothing else compares. I did enjoy the food well enough but more focus was the visit.

On getting back we toured the hostel and determined it to be amazingly nice and very unique. Getting late we said our goodbyes. I did a load of laundry in a real washer and dryer before going to bed.

Days miles about 70.





No comments:

Post a Comment