Monday, July 9, 2018

Sunday 7/8/18









Walnut, Kansas to Golden City, Missouri

It was a good night's rest at Immanuel Lutheran Church. Now that I have experienced this hospitality by churches left open for travelers, I am even more excited about my home church, Broadway Christian Church, putting in showers so we can be a way station for church groups traveling I-70. Something new to contemplate on as I cycle sans earbuds.

We used the nice kitchen to make our oatmeal and a pot of the essential beverage coffee. After a thourough sweep that we were leaving everything tidy and the way we found it, we cycled off.

The roads to Girard were very quiet and good quality pavement. Being Sunday morning probably helped. Getting into Pittsburgh we had a Casey's right on the route. So Nishanth and tried out the breakfast pizza with coffee. I went to the church next door and dropped off an Enlace brochure. I mentioned our positive experience at the Immanuel Lutheran Church and one of the men nearby said he had been baptised there and a longtime member. I am sure my positive comments will get back to them.

Making it to Pittsburgh at noon we discovered another chance to dine at the elusive Chinese buffet. This time it happened. The Eastern Star was open and was a buffet. It was quite a variety, was very good and we did eat too much!! Pedaling off we had to sit a bit more upright as the meal slowly settled lower. I am sure we will be repeat offenders of overgrazing the next time a Chinese buffet opportunity presents itself.

Making it to the Missouri border we stopped for pictures and a cheer! The plan was to make Ash Grove. But more headwind, and stuffed stomachs hindered progress. We were getting more hills so we blamed them also. Making Golden City, and a report of warm showers at the city park, we decided to call the days good enough.

Days miles about 60.

1 comment: