Thursday, July 5, 2018

Tuesday 7/3/18





Rush Center to Seward

The entry way to the senior center was a well protected place to rest. I stayed warm and tested well. Since nothing opened before 0800 we had a cold break of banana and peanut butter wraps. I sprinkled mine with raisens and walnuts.

We quickly packed and hit the windy road. The first 20 miles was straight south into it and took 4 hours. The intersection we reached had a co-op grain elevator and store. We went in and took advantage of the coffee and table. The feed pouches were quickly gotten and we were snacking.

Next stop was the old Fort Larned historical site. I thought Nishanth would like to learn some of the history of the US West.

As we entered the historical site a couple of familiar looking folks were leaving. The voices confirmed my suspicion. It was Kim Ryan and Dave Gibbons both of my church in Columbia. Kim had been the associate pastor for many years.

I was still wearing my sunglasses and helmet so not identified yet. As I asked if they would take our picture, I took the helmet and glasses off. They were very surprised that it was me on my bike ride fundraiser trip.  We had a good visit and we did get pictures taken!

The wind had been challanging the last several days and the boost from the chance meeting of Kim and Dave was helpful. I also got a nice note from Ron Negron Bueno the director of Enlace and a donation from a cycling friend Jim Brown. Did not change the wind but turned my attitude in a better direction.

Also just a couple miles out from Fort Larned was passed a huge field of lavender. On a bicycle you have a total sensory experience. Usually road kill but the lavender was a nice change.

At Larned we made our grocery stop and filled water bottles with ice and water. The plan is to attend the Independent Day activities at Sterling. This community was an overnight stay when I rode the Kansas cross state ride in 2013.

We made it to Seward about 8PM and decided to camp even though not listed as a camping option. Hudson was which is where Hudson Cream Flour is milled. Hudson is 4 ½ miles off route and would have taken an hour since we would have been bucking  a headwind.

We set up camp on the Saint Fransis Xavier Church lawn. Was quiet in Seward and we slept very well.

Tommorow we have a short 35 mile ride to enjoy the 4th activities at Sterling, USA’s representative small town! The 2013 Kansas bike tour stayed there and was a wonderful community.

Days very windy miles about 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment