Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Tuesday 7/17/18





Sebree to Falls of Rough Airport

We had a great place to stay at Sebree First Baptist Church. Showers, got laundry done and slept great on a soft couch. I hate to say the AC was too much, but my sleeping bag laid over me felt good.

After eating breakfast, Nishanth, Maria the French tourist and I got cycling. Maria had been cycling with her husband but he could not take the oppressive humility. He rented a car and drove to Washington DC, their final destination. Louis slept in.

I think after about 10 days of cycling in the heat, it was getting to me also. Nishanth cycled ahead. Getting about 10miles to Beech Grove I stopped at a small grocery and got a sandwich made. They had a picknic table inside and was neat to just sit in the old store and listen to the customers and clerk. Several came over to ask about my trip and wish me safe travels. Kentucky is no different than anywhere else so far, nice caring folks. Just the scenery changes. At Utica I hung out at another old store (125 years old) and ate while talking to locals.

The roads were getting hillier but the humidity was lower. Still hot but not as oppressive. Making Fordsville, I stopped at the Dollar General because grocery stores were becoming rare. I called Nishanth and he was much farther ahead. Usually I lead him but today he has more energy. Tonight we will camp separate.

Another 20 miles and I get to the airport at Falls of Rough. I misunderstood instructions for where the airport is and take a couple mile hilly detour. It was near dark and I could not see the airport. I see the landing strip lights finally and then the building to stay at. It is a pilots rest station. A large sitting room and restrooms with showers. Very nice and the AC felt great! A poster for pilots said it cost $10 to fly in and camp. I  went to the nearby lodge in the morning and paid my $10. Cheaper than tent camping in the campground without AC!

In the early morning I saw Maria coming from the restroom. I had missed seeing her dark blue tent in the dim evening light. She had tent camped about 100 feet from the building. She got in earlier and enjoyed a meal at the lodge. I hated to hear about it compared to my cold tuna fish sandwiches. But I was happy she had a better day than me and enjoyed a nice supper. It will be part of the cycle touring store she takes home to France.

Days miles about 70.


No comments:

Post a Comment