Sunday, July 8, 2018

Friday 7/6/18





Burns to Toronto

I slept well at Eden Mennonite Church. I forget to mention the evening before someone was occasionally shooting off some large fireworks about 4 to 5 miles away. All the kids came running out from the church to see the dozen or so go off each time.

I had a breakfast of banana wraps. A whole wheat tortilla wrap with peanut butter, honey,some raisens, walnuts and of course the banana. Two of these made a filling meal.

Then I cleaned up at the cemetery where the water hydrants were located. Seemed odd to use a tombstone for a vanity.

We got on the road and were back to the quartering headwind. Not as bad as the last few days thought.

We arrived at Cassoday for a late morning second breakfast. A microwave was available so I had my usual oatmeal. While eating I caught my notes from the day before. Our Dutch friends showed up just as we were leaving. They were pleased to have run across us again and have a short conversation about their night at the Newton Bike Shop hostel.

After our rest we got pedaling to a sky of heavy clouds. Never did rain but the clouds did shade us some. We were pedaling to Eureka thru the largest remaining area of prarie. Very beautiful with the grasses and flowers.

Coming into Eureka you could quickly see the effects of the tornado of 2 weeks ago. Shattered tree trunks and many roofs with blue tarps. A sad sight to see.

After a grocery store stop we headed out trying to make Benedict before dark. There was supposed to be cyclist only camping behind a church. After Toronto I saw a stAye park primitive campground and pulled in. It was past time to eat and get cleaned up before bedtime.

I also called Michelle with Enlace and arranged to meet for lunch in Chanute. Hope for no headwind so I peal the 35 miles by noon.

Days miles about 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment