Thursday, June 28, 2018

Wednesday 6/27/18





Alma to Florence

We woke up to a customer getting into their postal box at 0530. There is no sleeping in when squatting in a post office lobby.

We packed up and headed 10 miles down the road to Fairplay. This was the first town with a convenience store to do our usual coffee and breakfast routine.

Once fed and caffeinated, we headed out on highway 9. This was our route for the day till we made it to Canon City. This was a beautiful route and the road had little traffic. The pavement was also in very good condition and two foot of shoulder.

Aaron had left first, then myself and then Nishanth last. About 40 miles before Canon City I caught up with Aaron who was walking his bike. The rear tire had split at the sidewalk and bead. He decided to ride slowly and see how long it would go. I told him I would stay with him and not ride on.

It made it to about 11 miles before before Canon City. Aaron had called the shop and the owner was waiting. Initially Aaron thought he could flag down a pick up truck. While working this plan I became overcome by the heat. I went over to some shade and Aaron decided to replace the tube and limp the last few miles in. I had cooled off and we made the last leg on Highway 50. Not nearly the pleasant ride that 9 had been.

Once Nishanth made it into town we headed to an Asian restaurant. I had tried to find a buffet style but found out the information was old. So no pigging out but I did order extra rice to help fill the void.

While eating I did a check for a possible Warmshowers host and did find one in Florence. A quick call by Nishanth and we had beds for the night, and hot showers!

Days miles about 95.

1 comment:

  1. Don, you have a wonderful attitude, and I appreciate it very much. I’m sure it helps you.

    ReplyDelete