Sunday, June 17, 2018

Saturday 6/16/18





Darby to Wisdom

We woke to steady cold rain. Luckly we were inside at our Warmshowers host, Curtis Bunton. He did not expect the group to leave while still raining. Folks were checking their devices to best guess when it might pass by. It looked like it could be early afternoon. I helped Curtis cook some breakfast for the group. After the warm meal, Curtis took every one to the grocery store. The next two days ride was supposed to have limited services so to have some extra food.

On getting back we kept one eye on the forcast and the other on the mudpuddle.

Finally about 2PM it quit. Nishanth and I quickly packed and I headed out first. The town of Wisdom was the goal. About 55 miles of riding, two passes and about 3200 feet of elevation gain. I hoped to make Wisdom by dark if I made minimal stops and reasonable conditions.

 Leaving Dardy I had tailwind most of the way to the pass. A cyclist coming the other way said the pass was clouded in but not raining. It was the same when I went over but cold in the upper 30’s. Since I was sweating from the climb, the descent was bone chilling cold. Beautiful scenery but fingers to staff to take pictures. Could hardly move the shift leavers. Coming off the mountain was about 10 miles of open plain that had a  strong cold sidewind.

I did make it to the American Leagon pavilion which was an open building. At least we were out of the rain.

Days miles about 55.

No comments:

Post a Comment