Monday, July 23, 2018

Saturday 7/21/18















Kirksville to Booneville

The couch made for a good sleep. The A/C did not hurt either. It did rain hard that evening and night. The metal roof on Paul's house amplified the drops hitting.

When we woke about 0630 the sun was shining. Then I saw the great view from their front door. The sun was bright with patches of clouds swirling around the knobs.

After my usual breakfast of oatmeal, I got packed to leave. Paul started piddling around on his latest bicycle project. He showed me a few more of his unique bicycles including a Viscount, my first real 10 speed bicycle. I bought one similar to Pauls and developed my love of bicycling on it. A big part of that was the friends made thru the Charleston SC cycling club. Seeing that bike brought back many memories!

Paul lived at Paint Lick and I needed to ride an additional 10 miles to get back on course. It was a beautiful morning and quiet cycling roads. Quickly I recover the 10 miles and the 12 I had left to get to Berea. Berea has Berea College which is a beautiful campus both buildings and landscaping. I stopped at their farm store which includes a bakery. I got a 'real’ cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee. The roll is crunchy with carmalized sugar and big enough for two, or one very hungry cyclist.

I missed seeing a grocery store but leaving town I see a small store labeled grocery but surrounded by cars. I figure a restaurant and a very popular locals place. I go in and order a large bowl of chili and cornbread. I was not disappointed and enjoyed the conversation with the locals. I mostly talk to a gentleman named Winky who is concerned for my safety and the storms. I take his phone number and tell him I will give him a call once home.

The days ride was hilly and tiring. At McKee there is a grocery and I buy what I will need that evening. The extra weight on the bike does not make the hills to Booneville any easier.  At a 4 way intersection the GPS fails to warn me I take a wrong turn. Maybe 2 miles, and several hills, I realized the mistake and get turned around. Nor did the rain! About 4 miles out a downpour hits and I am drenched.

Making Booneville I meet 4 other cyclist using the Presbyterian Church outside pavilion. Maria the French cyclist is among them. I get my dry clothes out and head to the shower house which is cold water. Shivering badly, I make it a very fast shower and get the dry clothes on. I am feeling better and eat my cold supper of tuna fish sandwichs. As it gets dark I am in the sleeping bag and rest very well.

Days miles about 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment