Thursday, August 2, 2018

Wednesday 8/1/18



















Palmyra to Ashland

Even though indoors at Palmyra UMC I did not sleep that well. Had bouts of mild leg cramps. Would get up and use the restroom, then walk around some. I had real milk to make my out meal and will drink some later today. Joyce says the calcium helps prevent muscle cramps. I also cooked 3 eggs and ate with a diced up tomato. Hope extra protien helps also.

For my notes I wanted to get pictures of the church and Freds house. Fred was outside do I got to tell him goodbye as well as include him in the picture. It seems the cyclist add something to Freds life even though we are a fleating presence. Made a day or two, then replaced by someone new and fresh that Fred can recount his life with.

I finally got packed up, a last look around for a stray item, and got going. The sky was gray and thick with ominous clouds. A bit of mist was coming down and my expectations for the day were low.

But the day worked out fine and I felt relatively good. The days roads were rural and no busy or dangerous sections. I made a few Enlace brochure drops and met church staff at two. They were very interested in my bicycle trip and if they could do anything like water or use of a bathroom. I told them both about the inspiration of the Thomas Camero article and the goal of just finishing. They liked that simple idea and wished me the best to meet the goal.

I got to Mineral about 1PM and stopped at Miller's Grocery for something to eat. I was just going to get bananas for a peanut butter sandwich but saw Bell’s deli counter. The plan changed to a Bell’s hot roast beef sub special. She added jalapenos, banana peppers and extra onion. It completely filled the bottom of the large styrofoam container. This sandwich was a beast and it included fries. While waiting I saw a markdown card filled with assorted snack cakes. I bought two boxes of cherrie pies each with 4 pies for $1.50 each. I ate one immediately while waiting and another for dessert after the sandwich. The second I looked at the calories, 480 each. That should help with the seven pound weight loss, or at least stabalize things. The things we have to suffer for the love of cycling!

About 7:30 PM I had made it to Ashland. The whole day I had enjoyed both good roads and weather. On the edge of town was a ballfield with concession building. So I had a bathroom and cover for the night. Not motel perfect, but all I need. I had a peanut butter sandwich on my favorite Kroger bread. Some cherries, and a 480 calorie cherry pie for desert.

Cleaned up with a sink bath, I slept OK.

Days miles about 75.



No comments:

Post a Comment