Thursday, August 2, 2018

Thursday 8/2/18











Ashland to Glendale

I woke up at sunrise to a sunny sky with a few clouds drifting by. I had a peanut butter sandwich with banana for breakfast. I packed and cycled the few short bocks to the campus of Randolph-Macon College. I took a few pictures as College campuses are usually picturesque. Ashland is unique that railroad tracks run down the center of the main street. Amtrak and freight trains run constantly. The train whistle almost becomes a background noise.

The route today was more urban it went thru Mechanicsville. There was the urge to stop at restraurants and convenience stores since till recently,  there had been so few. I just need to get unconditioned from the trip that typically had us in rural isolated areas. Joyce told me there was a Krogers right on the route. Still cannot get over getting to walk into a Kroger's. Main item was more cherries and just to take in the Kroger ambience.

Mechanicsville was the site of many Civil War battles as it is north of Richmond, the Confederate States capitol. There were a lot of historical signs to stop and read.

About 12 miles from reaching Glendale another cyclist was waiting for me. Ephraim Seidman had Emailed me saying he might ride a few miles with me. He keeps track of the racers and tries to meet as many as possible, even us in the AARP division! I enjoyed having company again. A few miles from the Willis Methodist Church rain started. As we got close it started down heavy. Luckily this church is a hostel, so I called it a day.  Ephraim called the church member David who let’s cyclist in. He discussed the weather prediction that included possible flooding over roads as ditches we're already holding previous rains. More reason to stay put.  The heavy rain continued into the evening, so a good call to end the day. This church included a shower in it’s amenities. A hot shower before a good meal would be a nice evening. I will pray for a clear  day tommorow and finish the remaining 60 miles of this 4200 mile journey.

Days miles about 40.

1 comment: