Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Don’s Finish


The road was long, but it did finally end in Yorktown, Virginia. From “sea to shining sea, over the purple mountains majesty and across the “fruited plains.” Pedaling cross country was living the song, America the Beautiful. And as Ernest Hemingway once described cycling, “you really learn the countours of the country.”

The last days ride was a summary of my adventure. In the morning, the heavy rain clouds had momentarily departed, replaced by a rainbow. It was a good omen because I had a great day of cycling. Like everyday, there were challenges to overcome. This day was navigating the route through colonial Williamsburg and the GPS crashing at the crucial turn onto Yorktown. Like every others days difficulty, overcome or worked around. Then the final stretch from Williamsburg to Yorktown, a cloudburst missed me and I rolled to the finish dry. What a great day of cycling to finish on!

 All goals were met. As a fundraiser for Boy Scout camperships and Enlace, both met the goal of at least $1mile which was $4300. I just pedaled, generous folks who believe in these organizations made this happen. Thank you for the financial support for these organizations! It was also a significant morale booster for me to see the donations come in and the total grow.

There was an amazing level of support throughout the trip. Church hostels, Warmshowers hosts, and many Emails of encouragement. Also, TransAm race watchers waiting roadside to meet us and 'trail angels’ scattered randomly along the way. Missouri was a lot of fun with my brother David, and his family, visiting me in Farmington. Eric Bassett from work and Aaro Froese from the Scout office cycling with me. My wife, Joyce, met me at Houston, MO to have signatures notorized for my retirement papers. Now officially retired! Michelle Negron Bueno, of Enlace, met Nishanth and I for lunch and giving encouragement when south of Kansas City.Near daily phone calls with my family, Joyce and Justin, bridged the over 2 month physical absence. As the church sign said, “encouragement is food for the soul". My body was usually hungry, but my soul was well fed.

The 1982 Centurian ProTour performed well. The hills and 'hollers’ of Kentucky were hard on brake pads but no other significant mechanical problem. Not even a broken spoke or a  single flat tire! Overall comfort reduced fatigue when there were long hours of saddle time. Saddle time was also greatly aided by the Brooks gents B-68 saddle. Properly broken in, it fit my posterior like a favorite pair of Levi's.

I never got sick or hurt during the 63 days of cycling. The power of prayer at work here, I had my prayer warriors on duty. There were close calls and scary moments.
I knew I was experiencing a power I could not see, but I knew was real.

In small group, a member expressed as a lament, why was she so blessed in life and others not. I contemplated on this and concluded, if blessed then be a blessing. The churches across the country practicing Hebrews 13:2 “Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.” They were blessed with a church property that they offered as a cyclist’s hostel.
At a Scout meeting in early May, another volunteer leader,Hank Stelzer, asked about the ride and why I was doing it. He suggested it could be a fundraiser for Boy Scout camperships for summer camp. At 62 years of age, I  am blessed with the health and stamina to undertake a 4300 mile cycling adventure. I accepted the idea of adding a fundraising effort and extended the idea to an organization my church works with, Enlace. My blessing of health and fitness would become youth with financial need now experiencing summer camp. Through Enlace rural communities in El Salvador, Guatemala and Nepal would experience improvement in health, education and economic opportunity. My blessing would be a blessing to youth, families and whole communities. Amazing it could happen and did happen! I rode, took pictures and journeled, and others with their skills kept up the giving sites.  My friends sharing with others and money being donated. A simple idea to make a cycling trip a fundraiser, my acceptance and others making it happen and financially successful.
To everyone that in some way touched my cycling adventure, may God bless you also as I was blessed and looked over.






1 comment: