Sunday, August 5, 2018

Friday 8/3/18
















Glendale to Yorktown

It rained late into the evening Thursday and some lightning that was close to the church. Friday morning, as I was leaving, there was a rainbow. I took it as a good omen for the last day of my cycling adventure.

I  had 4 highway miles before getting on the Capital Trail. This is a paved cycling trail that parallels along Highway 5 for about 25 miles. It was in nearly new condition. This follows the James River which has several plantations open to the public. A trip later with Joyce to view them properly.

Soon on the trail I met another cyclist,Tyler, a minister from lacrosse on sabbatical. He also was finishing a cross country ride, but a different route. We enjoyed a good conversation about long distance cycling. His trip was much different as his wife was pulling a camper and he was not loaded down. So I was cycling faster than typical keeping up with him. It did not seem long and we were at the end of the trail. I guess good company will do that. Tyler is a good conversationalist and positive. He kept me upbeat and moving along. Again a coincidence, God provided just what I needed when it was needed.

I headed down the Colonial Parkway, the final 21 miles to Yorktown. Steve Oker soon appeared by the road to encourage me on to the finish. Steve's Mom, Ethel and sister Pat go to my church. Later Steve would cycle a few miles with me.

As I got closer to Williamsburg, large dark clouds were building up. The route goes thru Williamsburg because cyclist cannot use tunnels on the Parkway. Navigating thru the Williamsburg streets was a chore. But it did allow me to miss a cloudburst on the Parkway. The lighter rain in town, I stood under an overhang till it passed. Back on the Parkway, it was running with water.

So the mornings rainbow was accurate as a good omen. I rode the final 13 miles to Yorktown and rolled to the finish line dry, what a day to end the trip on!

Steve Oker and Tom Alford were there to cheer me in. Tom vidio’d my arrival for the race facebook page.

Tom volunteers with the race on the finishing end to help racers with their travel plan arrangements. The 'red lantern’ trail angel of the race. Many had a part in getting us to the finish, Tom helps us get home to our loved ones. Thank you, Tom, for being the final trail angel of the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment